Monday, November 14, 2005

Oil makes the best face wash (no, really)

I love the Internet for many many reasons. Right now, I love the Internet because it prevents breakouts. Well, indirectly, anyway.

I recently read about a skin-care regimen that involved only castor oil, olive oil, and water. Yes, you spread oil all over your face. Yes, I realize this seems completely insane: "My pores are clogged. Perhaps I should pour oil into them, slathering my skin with grease and then rubbing it in." Amazingly, it works. And by "it works," I mean my skin looks better than it has in a very, very long time. Oil is, it turns out, a remarkable deep cleanser when used properly. (If you would like to view the wondrous results of this method, you can check out my brand-new, ridiculously awesome, nonairbrushed complexion in the Marine Ball set of photos on Flickr. If you've never seen me before, you may not realize what a 180-degree difference is showing in these photos, but just trust me--my skin looks a hundred times better in these photos than it has for years.)

Here's what I do: When I want to wash my face (usually upon waking or before bed, but whenever is fine), I generously spread castor oil on the acne-prone or broken-out parts with my fingers, rubbing it in really, really well. Then I do the same to the rest of my face, only I use extra virgin olive oil instead. (And I use a cotton ball with the olive oil, because it's a lot runnier than castor oil and I don't want to get it all over everything. Oil does NOT come out of clothing, so be careful.)

When it's all rubbed in, I pour hot water over a washcloth (try to keep these fresh, and your towels fresh, as it will cut down on the yesterday's dirt getting into your pores via the terrycloth), wring it out, and lay it on my face for steam. When the washcloth cools, I repeat the steaming step once or twice. The original directions told me to relax and enjoy the steam, so you can do that. But what I usually do is stand there impatiently, hands on the sink edge, shifting my weight from one foot to the other, as if I have to pee really badly. So if you're looking to imitate me exactly in an effort to duplicate my excellent results, now you know what to do.

Then I use hot water and a washcloth to wipe the oil away (it comes off easily, which may surprise you). Once the oil is gone, I splash cold water on my face to close my pores.

Once my face is try, I rub the teeny-tiniest drop of olive oil between my palms and pat it on to keep my skin from drying out. I rub it in a little, then blot with a tissue if necessary. I have really dry skin, so I need this step, but some people will probably look better if they skip it.

SO:
1. Lots of castor oil on acne-prone and broken out parts; rub in well.
2. Lots of olive oil on the rest of the face; rub in well.
3. Steam face for a moment using draped hot washcloth; repeat once or twice.
4. Wipe off oil with hot washcloth.
5. Rinse face with cold water.
6. Pat tiny amount of olive oil back onto face, if needed for moisture.

The castor/olive oil method is the ONLY cleaning method I use on my skin, and the only moisturizer. I don't use any other face washes or moisturizing products. (At first I did the oil method before bed and used face wash in the morning, but ... well, the oil method is just better, so I started doing it twice a day as my only face wash.) I've been doing it for a couple of weeks now. It takes five or ten minutes, so it takes longer than what I've done in the past, but it works a million times better.

I know it sounds bizarre. I was afraid to try it at first, convinced it was some practical joke, and I would wake up with horrible lumpy superzits covering my ENTIRE BODY. But my skin is clear, I don't have dry spots, I get no oily shine on my face all day (when I used face washes and moisturizers, you could see your reflection in my forehead by noon, yet my face was really dry in other places), and makeup goes on really nicely on your skin when you use this method in the morning. The improvement in my skin was IMMEDIATE, but over time the improvement is even more marked, as the castor oil will gradually improve blackheads. Even the blackhead you've had for ten years. You know, the one you named Earl because it wouldn't go away so you figured you might as well make friends with it.

It works. True story.

(This method was originally discussed by Jo at Leery Polyp and on the Long Hair Forum.)

8 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

Thank you so much for posting this. I have clear but horrifically dry skin and someone recently recommended this technique to me, except they we a lot less specific. Sounds a lot cheaper than the stuff I've been using, too, which would be nice.

8:14 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

I am going to try this, thanks for the specifics!

7:44 PM  
Blogger Crystal said...

Do you still use this method? How is is fairing 4 years later?

10:53 AM  
Anonymous Jessie said...

i barely comment on blogs but i do need to comment on this ... 1 day my makeup remover was all done n i accidentally or dont know why picked up almond oil to do this n guys m super duper super oily ... but my life changed n since then i am using organic almond oil n do same steps n my skin has improved tremendously with no blemishes at all and i mean it not even single left so do give it a shot n u wll love it ....

5:49 PM  
Anonymous Olivia said...

Love your sense of humor. :) I'm really tempted to try this out...it seems like olive oil is the miracle worker of the century...hair, skin, body...sooner or later someone will probably learn how to use it to cure cancer. i think i'm going to try this olive oil cleanser out and see what happens. i do use olive oil as an eye makeup remover, and it removes mascara quite nicely. i'll cross my fingers this works.thanks for the tip!

5:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just a tip: If you ever get oil on your clothing - try rubbing some dishwashing liquid on it and place it in the washer. :)

12:52 AM  
Anonymous Josh said...

Thanks so much for this post. I saw a recent picture of my and was shocked at how bad my skin looked, so I thought I'd give this a go.

It's amazing how a little olive oil can turn oily skin in to a soft and smooth quilt.

2:16 PM  
Blogger hooplah said...

Hello, just can across your post... so did you have ance prior to trying this? and did it cure it? sorry for the questions, its just that i have been battling with adult acne for the first time EVER and i have heard so much about this i just wanted to get the details :) thanks!!

10:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home